Tuesday, July 19, 2011

AUTHOR CAROLYN ROSEWOOD

I am so excited and pleased to have author Carolyn Rosewood here with me today.  Carolyn has two new books, Haunted Heart which was released on July 1, 2011 from Etopia Press and Hunted which was released on July 15, 2011 from Evernight Publishing. 
Haunted Heart can be found at:



Haunted Heart:
All Rowena Sommers wants is a life away from Hollywood gossip and her Oscar-winning ex-boyfriend, Brett Fontaine, who trashed her costume design career and reputation because she dared to issue him an ultimatum.
Van Whitney has been struggling to keep his family's restoration business from going under ever since his uncle embezzled money. When he agrees to restore Rowena's home, he vows to keep their relationship professional. When strange things start happening at the house, Van discovers one of his own crew might be involved with a local ghost hunter who is trying to scare Rowena and sabotage the house, and Van's business is in trouble once again. Not to mention he’s lost his heart to Rowena.

Thanks Carolyn for joining me today.  We have a lot to talk about so let’s just jump right in with both feet, *Smiles.*

Tell all of us a little bit about the genre you write in.
I love writing suspenseful stories, even if I'm writing an erotic paranormal. I like mystery and intrigue and complicated plots. Romantic Suspense can be anything from murder to mystery, and I love reading them all. As for the erotic side of things, as long as there's a story behind the sex, I'll read it. :)
What, as a writer, draws you to this genre?
 I'm drawn to the mystical dark side in each of us. We're complex creatures, and I like to read about those complexities. Give me some meat to the story. Make me work for that HEA!
Who are some of your favorite writers?
Oh goodness, how much time do we have? :) I've been reading romance since I was 19, and let's just say that means I've been reading romance for over 30 years and leave it at that, okay? But I love all fiction. I was reading classics like To Kill A Mockingbird when I was ten. I read authors like Jane Austen and Lewis Sinclair when I was in junior high school. I'm a huge fan of Maeve Binchy and Stephen King. As for romance writers, I love them all, from mavens like Jayne Ann Krentz to the new authors emerging every day.
What are some of your favorite books?
 To Kill A Mockingbird, Echoes, The Stand (both versions), Ceremony of the Innocent, and Brave New World, just to name a very few.
We have to talk about Haunted Heart, just from reading the excerpt I have to know more. Tell us a little bit about the characters in Haunted Heart.
 Rowena Sommers left home at 18 to pursue a career in costume design. She's from a small town in Ohio that I based on a real town called North Ridgeville, where I lived for 7 years. Rowena's parents were against this move to LA, but Rowena is a spitfire and did it anyway. Within a couple of years, she met bad-boy Oscar-winning actor Brett Fontaine, and dazzled by his lifestyle she moved in with him, despite his recent divorce and reputation as a ladies' man. He cheated on her a ridiculous amount of times, but Rowena was young and naive and believed he'd come to his senses one day. When she finally issued him an ultimatum, he doctored private emails to trash her career and sent them to key people and the media. She filed a libel suit and won twenty million dollars. On the same day she had her final court appearance, she found out her beloved great aunt Lunette died - Aunt Loony. Rowena spent as much time in Aunt Loony's home, two streets over, as in her own. Aunt Loony left her home to Rowena, and Rowena thinks moving back home is the key to solving all her troubles. HA!
Vance Whitney was a teammate of Rowena's older brother Jake in high school. A star receiver for the Creek Ridge Cougars, everything came easy to Van, including girls. He was a slut in high school, and he and his friends, including the cheerleaders and dance team members, tortured awkward Rowena. After a high school dance during Rowena's freshman year, some of Van's drunk high school buddies issued him a challenge. Could he get to first base with Rowena Sommers? He asked her out and someone followed them, snapping pics to prove he'd kissed her. When one of Rowena's friends forwarded the email with the pics to her, she was devastated. She'd had a crush on Van her entire life, and until he and her brother Jake started middle school, she used to hang out with them.
Van married one of the cheerleaders and passed the firefighter exam, while Rowena was in Hollywood. One night while responding to a fire at an apartment building, Van saw his wife across the street with his former football coach, who lived in the building. That ended his marriage, but it also ended his firefighting career. While Van was across the street confronting his wife and former coach, two twin girls died in the fire. Van couldn't handle the guilt.
After that, Van went to work for his father's home restoration company, and when Rowena returns home to restore Aunt Loony's home, she hires Van. That's where Haunted Heart begins.
What was your inspiration for writing Haunted Heart?
 I love old homes, so the house was inspired by the Carson Mansion in Eureka California. The story itself was inspired by all the rotten things we each go through in high school. Who doesn't remember the house on their block that everyone said was haunted, or remember the torture they went through in high school?
I love old homes too, spooky places.  I know I remember the old hunted-looking places from my youth J I can’t wait to read it
 Thanks! :)
Let’s talk a little bit more about your second book release this month, Hunted published by Evernight Publishing.



Hunted:
For the past four hundred years, Jahi Wickes has made forged documents and credit cards for the female demons who seduce men into signing away their souls. While enjoying the parades at Mardi Gras, she's ambushed by two angels. One is her former guardian angel, and the other is the Nephilim who’s tracking him.
Dagon has been chasing Vassago for three years. His first big break comes in the form of a cute, sexy demon. When he learns the real reason Vassago is hunting her, Dagon has more trouble than he bargained for. Not only was Vassago sent to guard souls in Purgatory after screwing up his assignment with Jahi, but the person who paid him to destroy her is one of her fellow demons.

I myself have a love for angels, demons and the stories we as writers can wield from them.  Again, have to know just a little bit more and I can see I have some great reading ahead of me.  Tell us a little about Hunted and your inspiration for writing this book.
 Hunted is the second story in my current series for Evernight. The heroine, Jahi, is Faina's friend from The Last Soul. Jahi popped off the page from the moment I wrote her, and I just knew she had to have her own story. I'm fascinated with fallen angels, so I decided to bring them into this story. The creature hunting Jahi is her former guardian angel, now fallen, and the creature hunting him is a Nephilim, our hero, Dagon.
Love the character names, how do you come up with creative and unique names?
 I researched demon and angel names, but some of them I just made up. :)
Do you have a favorite character you have written about?
Faina from The Last Soul is my favorite character so far because she represented a huge breakthrough for me. I just let loose and wrote her wild and fun. It opened up a whole new world for me in my writing.
What are some of your other titles?
The Last Soul is also from Evernight and was released in April 2011. I'm working on a third book in that series, Redemption. I also have a short erotic paranormal story that will be part of Evernight's Midnight Seduction anthology, coming in October 2011.
What can your fans expect to see from you in the future?
I hope to have Redemption finished and submitted by the end of July. In addition, I'm working on a full length Fantasy Erotic Romance called Crossing the Dark Moon, that takes place in an alternate universe. I have another Romantic Suspense called Heart Song that I'd love to finish one day, and I have plans for a new paranormal series after Redemption is finished.
Wow, you have been busy.  You have a lot on your plate, so again, thanks so much for stopping by and talking with me.  Congratulations on both of your new books, Haunted Heart and Hunted.  I know both will be great reads and wish you all the best success.  I also have to say I look forward to being included with you in the upcoming Halloween Anthology from Evernight Publishing called Midnight Seduction.  My story Crimson Sin will be included along with your story Ghost Of A Chance to be released in October 2011.
 That anthology is going to rock! :) Thank you so much for having me here today!
It’s been my pleasure, Carolyn.  Come back to visit any time.
You can find Carolyn at:

4 comments:

  1. Sorry it took me so long, I got very distracted by the Monday post lol WOW...
    So, yeah loved the post! I am a huge fan of ghost stories and anything to do with spirits and the spookyness of it all :D

    leanne_gag[at]hotmail[dot]com
    www.booksnmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stories sound interesting and the covers are beautiful!
    From one King fan to another ;),
    C.R. Moss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carolyn. All my best wishes with your new books.

    ReplyDelete