Thursday, July 14, 2011

AUTHOR SHYLA COLT

I am pleased to have author Shayla Colt here with me today.  Shayla’s new book, Don’t Fear the Reaper is out now.  You can purchase her book at:



Don’t Fear The Reaper:
Guardian angel Nox knew he was in trouble when he fell for his coco skinned ward Brea. But when she’s killed prematurely and set to go straight to hell he crossed a line he can’t step back over and bends the rules. A deal with the angel of death Azrael gains her a job as a reaper and earns her a chance at redemption. The problem is he can’t seem to leave her alone on her journey. When Brea is given a special assignment and all hell breaks loose she’s forced to ask the question- will they be each other’s savior or downfall?

First, let me say thank you Shayla for joining me on my blog and allowing me to pick your brain *Smiles*
Tell us a little bit about the genre you write in?
Paranormal, the genre where your only limitations are you mind. In DFTR I explore the world of angels, and answer the question of what happens when you die. But the genre is so vast it could make your head spin.  The stories can range from dark to sweet, but the one thing they all have in common is they’re uniqueness. Which is why I think the genre is so popular right now.
 Love the paranormal genre!

Why did you choose that genre?
I find it freeing to be able to create my own universe and set of rules to follow. I’ve always been attracted to the things that go bump in the night, and this way I’m able to humanize them and stick to my roots. Thanks Dad for letting me watch Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th as a child, it lead me here.
 *Smiles*

What got you into writing?
I always had an active imagination as a child, and when I was old enough to realize I could put what I saw in my head on to paper- that was all she wrote.  (No pun intended)
I totally understand, I scribbled all my stories down as a child as well, Shayla.

I know I’ve been asked this question quite a bit so now I’m getting to ask *Winks.*  What do you say to those people out there who what to know how to break into writing, get their work published?
I’d say learn your craft to the best of your ability; write what you love and have a thick skin. Just because one publisher doesn’t think they have a place for your work does not mean another one won’t.
Don’t be afraid to send in what you have either, because you will never know until you try. 

Who are some of your favorite writers?
Laurel K. Hamitlon (the early years), Christine Feehan, Gena Showalter, and Sherrilyn Kenyon, and J.R.Ward to name a few.
Woo…. Great list of writers! I love Lords Of The Underworld and The Dark Hunter Series.

What are some of your favorite books?
Wow.  That’s a tough one.  The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Guilty Pleasure by Laurel K Hamilton, The Outsiders By S.E. Hinton just to name a few that inspired me over the years.
Great books, I agree J

Tell us a little bit about your new book, Don’t Fear The Reaper.
It’s a bit dark, but laced with humor, action and plenty of supernatural beings.  When my character Nox finds himself in love with the human he’s supposed to guard, all bets are off. He breaks the rules to save Brea, and the fall out is more than he had ever anticipated.
Sounds great! Where did you find the inspiration for writing it?
It started off as a desire to write a story about the power of redemption. Then entered Zachary Quinto and the outline exploded.

What’s next? What can your fans expect to see in the future?
I actually recently finished the first book in my alien series The Wanting. Which is the first story in my D’Shar men series. In a world where aliens exist, love between species is a wild ride, filled with unexpected surprises.
 Phelan D’shar has known agent Zasha Johnson is his mate from the moment she walked into his classroom several years ago. Her age, and his responsibility kept him from staking his claim. But now that the biological mating period has befallen the alien king all bets are off. They come together in a rush of passion that scares Zasha right out of his bed. Zasha has avoided romantic entanglement her entire life after she witnessed the death of her mother at the hands of her alien beau. But the desire between them will not be denied. . Their struggle to meet in the middle is an entertaining trip fraught with passion, romance, humor and unexpected twists. 
You have been busy and great names, by the way.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Shayla.  I look forward to reading your book and wish you all the best with your writing career and with your new book, Don’t Fear The Reaper.  Come back and visit again.

You can find Shayla Colt at:

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview. Congrats Shyla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Shyla for stopping by my blog. Come back any time you wish. XoXo London

    ReplyDelete

Winners & More

*Waves* Hi, all.  First, I want to thank everyone who took part in my audiobook tour for Always and hosted me and my new audiobook baby o...