Skip to main content

INTERVIEW WITH LEE ANN SONTHEIMER MURPHY

I am please to say I have Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy here with me today. Her new book, Kinfolk, which is her fifth novel, is out now.


KINFOLK:
When Katherine Vaughn flees California, she returns home to her native Arkansas, a place she barely remembers. As she settles in at the family farm with her aunt, she finds herself growing closer to her late cousin's husband, Ben Hatfield. Ben is a lot more than the country bumpkin she first takes him to be and when the men who threatened her follow her to Arkansas he will rely on his skills as a former Navy SEAL to protect her. As their feelings toward one another grow, so does the danger and in the end, it’s anyone’s guess what will happen or if anyone will be safe. Katherine’s life is in jeopardy as she wonders if there is any hope left in her heart.
Kinfolk is a novel about the power of love and the strength of family ties.

You can purchase Kinfolk at: Champagne Books
http://www.champagnebooks.com/shop/

Amazon.com

First, let me say thank you for allowing me to bombard you with questions *Smiles* I know you are busy and appreciate you taking the time to talk with me on my blog. I’m sure our blog followers are looking forward to hearing from you, so that being said, let’s just jump right in. Tell us a little bit about the genre you write in?

I write romance in just about all flavors. Like my tagline - romance that lives and breathes the power of love - I really do believe in the power of love. Life isn't always easy but love is a constant and it can make a difference.

*Grabs heart* Love the tag line!

What attracts you, as a writer, to this genre?

I'm an avid reader and since I was about twelve, I love romance. At that age I stumbled onto my mother's Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart books. That hooked me and I moved on from there.

Who are some of your favorite writers?

I like some of the "big" names in romance - Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Deborah Smith but I also like a lot of the small press, indie and ebook authors including Delilah Hunt, Emma Shortt, Cassandre Dayne, Lila Munro, and Anna Keraleigh.

Some of my favorite writers also, *Smiles*


What are some of your favorite books?

That's a hard question - but among the top favorites I have to list "Crossroads Cafe" and "Gentle Rain" by Deborah Smith, "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen, and "Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.

Great books for sure.

How did you get your start writing?

I wanted to make up stories before I could even read. By the fifth grade I was scribbling away in the back of my three ring binder at school and my desire to write just kept growing. I had some encouragement from one high school English teacher, Mr. Gary Sims, and when I reached college, a few of my writings made their way into the campus newspaper and literary magazine. I graduated and went to work in broadcast radio but from the first, I also wrote and sent my stories off. A few found publication and I stayed on course until I finally sold that first novel. KINFOLK, was the first novel I sold but before it came out in early July 2011, I sold several others which debuted earlier than KINFOLK.

Where do you get your ideas for your books, your inspiration?

They all start as just an idea or an image or a situation. The ideas pop into my head and I ask myself "What if" or "What next". Then, if I'm lucky, they grow from that into a full-blown plot.

Tell us a little about your characters in Kinfolk?

Katherine Vaughn is a writer. Although she's Arkansas born, she doesn't remember much about her early years. She's widowed and her late husband left major drug debts that she can't pay. She's smart and savvy but when she returns to Arkansas, she's running scared.

Ben Hatfield has had a hard life. His dream of being career Navy derailed when he suffered a serious injury that almost crippled him for life. His wife - Katherine's cousin - died in a car crash and since then, as Aunt Ruby says in the story, he's never been the same. Until Katherine arrives he lives day to day, an average life without any dreams.

What was your inspiration for Kinfolk?

I love action oriented guys like Ben Hatfield and my own grandfather, Pop, was in the Navy. I started with the idea of a woman stepping off a Greyhound bus in Arkansas, feeling disoriented and unfamiliar. All I knew about Katherine at that point was that she was running from danger and that she would fall in love with a local man. The rest of the story grew from that.

Sounds great, I look forward to reading Kinfolk.

What are the titles of your other books?

My books that are currently out are Wolfe's Lady, Love Tattoo, Love Scars, and Love Never Fails (which is in both ebook and paperback formats).

I also have several shorts out - "Absolution" and "Mr. Brown's Vacation" with "The Pagan Feast" coming soon.

What’s next for you, what can your fans look forward to?

I've just signed a contract for the next in my "Love" or "Will Brennan" series from Evernight Publishing. The first two books, Love Tattoo and Love Scars, have found a niche in readers' hearts and Love Knots will be out later this year. I also have three more upcoming Rebel Ink Press titles, "Witness Protection Program", "In Love's Own Time", and "Miss Good Samaritan". I have another Champagne release scheduled for November, a time travel romance called "A Time To Love" and another Champagne title scheduled for May 2012 called "Long Live The King." As a teaser, the King in this story is Elvis.

I have just finished another novel, "Guy's Angel" that isn't submitted yet and I have another WIP. I'm also trying to finish a Christmas story for Rebel Ink.

Wow, you have been busy writing. I know firsthand a writer’s work is never really done. I know I always have ideas, as well as WIP’s. (Work in progress)

Thanks Lee Ann for stopping by. It was great talking with you. I wish you all the best with your writing career and with your new book, Kinfolk.

London


Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy: Romance That Lives And Breathes The Power of Love! http://leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. I'm a fan Lee Ann, great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee Ann. Best wishes for success with your new book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Summer Time Giveaway

Many of you are aware of my mother's passing in October of 2016 and some of the other things that have been keeping my writing progress slowed, but I am working hard on catching up with those writing projects that came to a screeching halt at the end of last year.

Book three in my Bad Boy Fever series is well underway. I will be pushing to have Bound by the Bad Boy completed and released this year. Book two in my Lost Boys series, Kiss of Fire and Frost is also well underway and another of my books I will be pushing to complete.

Because I really do appreciate my readers and fans, and I'm thankful for your patience with me, I am doing an It's Summer Time Giveaway. What's on the summer giveaway list?


A signed paperback copy of Spanked by the Bad BoyA signed paperback copy of Claimed by the Bad BoyA signed paperback copy of Rise of the Lost Prince A Kindle copy of Every Single Part of YouAnd a Kindle copy of my newest release, Always 
If you would like to check out the detai…

Hiring the Tiger - Heart of the Mountain by L.J. Longo

New Series from Evernight Publishing: Heart of the Mountain Hiring the Tiger

Mid Week Tease - Don't Stop Watching

*Waves* I know I've been gone from Mid Week Tease a long, long time. But I'm back!!! 





This week I've got a little something from Forever & Always, Two Hearts, One Soul Duet: Book Two which is soon to be released.

Enjoy!


Excerpt:

With the phone to his ear, Cayden turned and looked at me, his sapphire gaze roaming from the hair piled in a messy bun atop my head, to my bubble-gum-pink-painted toenails before he smiled. My heart thrummed. Reaching out, he pulled me onto his lap where I willingly went, and picked up a pen from beside my laptop. Then, he crooked his head, holding the handset to the cordless in place against his shoulder to free his other hand and took a hold of mine. Curious, I wondered what he was up to. Cayden turned my hand over, palm side up. Swiped his fingers softly over my palm once. Wrote, I Love U,boldly across it. And then he curled my fingers closed, securing the words tight within the palm of my hand before he moved his hands from mine and took hol…