Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Mile High by Bethany-Kris

Hello there!
Let me first stop and thank London for hosting me on her blog today and giving me the opportunity to introduce myself and my first ever release.
A little intro as to who I am exactly. I’m Bethany-Kris, a twenty-four year old Canadian author, lover of much, and mother to two young boys who never give me a break. I love just about anything that isn’t good for me, work way too much for my own good, and never get to write nearly as much as I’d like to. But, I find time to enjoy every bit of it.
I’m also a new author, new to the publishing world, and new to just about everything that’s been thrown at me over the last couple of months. Sometimes it’s really exciting, and sometimes it makes me so overwhelmed I can barely think straight. It’s a learning curve every step of the way. So, that’s exactly what I wanted to talk about. How it felt to get my first contract, some of the changes I made because of it, and how it’s affected me, good and bad.
Getting that acceptance email just a couple short days after I’d sent in the submission to Evernight Publishing for A Mile High was an intoxicating moment for me. I was excited, nervous, and suddenly wholly unsure of myself as a writer, despite the clear text in the email that stated, “Yes, we would love to publish your story.”
So, the first thing I did was sign that contract so I couldn’t convince myself to somehow say no. I made the calls to my most important people, and a gchat session with a good friend, to let them know the good news. Then, I realized I had no social media outlets other than a Twitter. Blogger and a Facebook page came next, and when I say I am technically challenged, that’s the biggest understatement of the century. Somehow, I made it work and I quite like my blog, though having it on some sort of schedule still eludes me.
Regardless, the moment I started inviting my family and friends to join my pages, announcing that I had signed a contract for a short, contemporary erotic romance to be released sometime in September, I had a major awakening of what I just did. Admitted to nearly everyone in my life that not only am I a writer, but I am a writer who focuses on a very specific topic: Sex. It’s not everybody’s thing, not to mention I have strict and sensitive religious family members who were suddenly viewing my confessions, and for a moment, I was worried.
Apparently I didn’t need to be. Everyone was supportive and happy. I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Some of the best moments since getting picked up by Evernight have come at the simplest of times. Things like getting added to the author group, where everyone is supportive, great, and really helpful, or seeing my name get added to Evernight’s author list. Those were big moments for me as a first time author. But the very best moment? When my spouse told me he was proud of me. It was the first time he was able to see my writing beyond the hobby he always assumed it was. The tiniest of thing, from someone who means the very most to me, had the strongest effect of all.
So, some of the bad things? Well, I’m busier than ever before. I had no idea how to promote my work, how to get my name out there, or how to manage everything that was coming in from all different directions. Being new is a scary thing, but everyone is new at one point or another. Having a great publisher and other great authors behind you to help is an invaluable asset. One I’m happy to say Evernight provides.
I’m still learning, I’m still new, and I’m still overwhelmed. It’s still great.
Now, the book in question that gave me all of these first time experiences?
A Mile High.
 
 
 

 

Olivia wants a vacation, that’s all, but when the airline screws up her plans for a week getaway to the beautiful Barbados, instead putting her on a new path that intertwines with the handsome, funny, and charming Sal, she can’t say no to his offer of joining the mile high club. Their meeting is explosive, attraction intense, and when the flight ends, Olivia is unwilling to part ways but unable to voice her wants. Still, fate is at work with its own plan, and where it finishes just might not be where it ends up.

There’s nothing quite like sex at a mile high.
~~~~~
 
“Doubt it,” Sal put in quietly. “Pilot’s all ready to go, we’re away from the gates, and there’s another plane bussing in to take off behind us right now, probably. We’re taking off. Her friend will likely give her some Gravol, set her up in their little section there, and we’ll be on our way.”
 
A quick, vague apology sounded over the plane’s announcement system, informing the passengers it would be another minute before takeoff. Given I had a bit of time to do whatever, I decided to use the bathroom. Excusing myself from our comfortable little cubby, I made my way through to the back of the plane, ignoring the questioning gazes of other passengers in coach who were likely wondering what had happened up in first class.
 
In the panic-worthy, small as hell bathroom, I washed my face and hands, checking my face out in the mirror as a ding sounded above me. I looked up to see the seatbelt sign had appeared just as the pilot’s voice sounded over the speakers, asking everyone to buckle up and ready for takeoff.
 
Making my way back to my seat as quickly as possible, I had just moved in to sit down—Sal drawing in his stretched out legs to let me through—as the plane jerked forward. I yelped under my breath, trying to catch myself but between the black, peep-toe pumps with a four-inch heel on my feet, and the sudden movement, I ended up on something warm…and hard. Something that breathed, chuckled, and touched me.
 
Sal.
 
My brown hair created a curtain over my face. Huffing a breath and blowing strands out of my line of vision, Sal laughed in my ear, rocking both our bodies. I felt his hands skim above my knees where the flimsy material of the skirt I wore had risen up. Gooseflesh pebbled at the motion and I tried hard not to shiver when fingers grasped tightly to my legs.
 
“You okay?” he murmured. “Because I think you’re just fine.”
 
I nodded, trying really hard not to be embarrassed. I didn’t want to show how turned on I was by his palms to my flesh and the suggestive tone to his words. “Yeah, just surprised. I’m so—”
 
“Don’t be,” he interrupted, voice turning huskier than I expected. “Unless you plan on moving, that is.”
 
Teeth cut into my bottom lip as I fought the urge to exhale harshly. “I have to. We’re just about to take off, right?”
 
The dismissive sound he made under his breath didn’t help the lust raging through my senses. Those warm hands of his skimmed a little higher under my dress, making me groan quietly, grinding my backside shamelessly against his jeans when he whispered, “You ever join the mile-high club?”
 ~~~~~
You can find A Mile High at:
And if you please, you can find me on Twitter, Facebook, and Blogger.
Thanks again to London for letting me take over for a moment! Have a great day.
--Bethany-Kris

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me take over for a moment, London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing. You're welcome to come back any time.

      XoXo
      London

      Delete

Silent Knight / Sleepless Knight by Gale Stanley

Cover art: Bryan Keller Genres: Gay Romance, Multiple Partners, Holiday Length: Box Set Page Count: 145 Publisher's...