Skip to main content

Mid Week Tease


 
 
Welcome to my portion of Mid Week Tease! Thanks to fellow author Sandra Bunino for creating and organizing the fun!
 
Coming January 24th from Evernight Publishing
 
 
From my story, Tatum's Tiger
 
Tatum Neill never gave much thought to what the awareness of death would be like, although in retrospect, she supposed she should have. Wandering through the murky middle ground of not quite evening and not quite darkness, surrounded by trees, listening to the twigs snap beneath her feet, Tatum imagined she should have given many things further thought. Especially when she figured out she couldn’t back up any further.

With her shoulder blades hard-pressed up against the trunk of an old tree, she came to the conclusion she had been herded like a lamb to the slaughter. Squinting, she tried to see what she sensed. Her gaze darted from tree to tree to tree. The fine hair on the back of Tatum’s neck stood on end as a beast broke through the brush, stalking toward her. Those things that go bump in the night were true.

The creature, which walked upright, stopped. It dropped to four legs where it stood within the shadow-dappled light, only a few feet away, and stared at her with eyes reflecting the fathomless black of midnight. By the stance alone, she knew an attack was imminent. With no weapon, fear gripping her, and nothing left to do, Tatum wrapped her arms around her stomach. Immediately her thoughts drifted to her mother. She’ll never know what happened to me. Tatum concluded she would become one of the many missing faces amongst the sea of missing people that she herself had read about on all those store flyers which littered the walls in town.

Unable to stop the reaction, Tatum jerked and screamed as a massive tree crashed down in front of her. It shook the ground in a shockwave and created a partial barrier between her and the beast. Barely holding on to her sanity, Tatum realized a tall, pale silhouette of something not quite human stood on the knotted bark of the fallen tree. When it crouched, dark tangles of hair swished around its features, obscuring the face. One large clawed hand rested upon the ground. However improbable, the scene played out, reminiscent of a twisted horror movie, and when another dark beast formed from out of the shadows to the right of her, she knew her end was near. 

Tatum wondered if she had snapped. Her life didn’t flash before her eyes. She didn’t think about all the things she should have done and didn’t get the chance to do. She didn’t even mourn the life she would be leaving behind. What did flash happened to be a snapshot of her mother with a distraught expression wrinkling up Violet Neill’s usually peaceable brow. She clearly pictured her mother as she frantically handed out leaflets to strangers with Tatum’s picture on them. Tatum even imagined the missing person flyer.

Have you seen this woman? Tatum L. Neill. 5’7 in. 122 lbs. 25 years of age. Blonde Hair. Green Eyes. Last seen leaving the University of Oregon, wearing a red cardigan sweater and jeans.
 
For more Mid Week Tease click on the links:
 

Comments

  1. Love the last paragraph! I can just imagine the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense and gripping! Love it, London :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome image. Best of luck on the antho release!

    Thanks for rejoining the tease, London! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I LOVE your descriptions London. The scene feels so real, great tease!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great excerpt, London! Best of luck with the anthology!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! What happens next? This is such a great tease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, what happens next! I can feel her fear. Most excellent. Congratulations on the up coming release. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tease! Makes me wonder how it's all going to pan out for her.
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great descriptions and a real tease about what might happen next :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Summer Time Giveaway

Many of you are aware of my mother's passing in October of 2016 and some of the other things that have been keeping my writing progress slowed, but I am working hard on catching up with those writing projects that came to a screeching halt at the end of last year.

Book three in my Bad Boy Fever series is well underway. I will be pushing to have Bound by the Bad Boy completed and released this year. Book two in my Lost Boys series, Kiss of Fire and Frost is also well underway and another of my books I will be pushing to complete.

Because I really do appreciate my readers and fans, and I'm thankful for your patience with me, I am doing an It's Summer Time Giveaway. What's on the summer giveaway list?


A signed paperback copy of Spanked by the Bad BoyA signed paperback copy of Claimed by the Bad BoyA signed paperback copy of Rise of the Lost Prince A Kindle copy of Every Single Part of YouAnd a Kindle copy of my newest release, Always 
If you would like to check out the detai…

Transcending Fire New World Bikers by Casey Moss

On A Dark Tide by Naomi Clark

Thanks for having me here today! I'm excited to share my latest Romance on the Go, ON A DARK TIDE, a story I constantly (and probably annoyingly) referred to as the Creepy Ocean Story whilst writing it. I'm a mermaid at heart. I love the ocean, whatever the season, whatever the weather. Nothing makes me feel as at peace or inspired as sitting by the shore. ON A DARK TIDE is one of several stories and books I've written with the ocean at its heart, and it won't be the last.

My jokey reference to it as the Creepy Ocean Story got me thinking about other creepy ocean stories. ON A DARK TIDE was partially inspired by that idea that the deep, vast ocean is concealing a very alien and inhospitable world from us - and that maybe we don't want to uncover it's secrets.

These three books share that theme, and were all incredibly formative reads for me growing up. Enjoy!

1. DAGON

DAGON was one of the first stories Lovecraft wrote as an adult, back in 1917. Told from the poin…