Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Spotlight on CJC Photography & Interview

I’m totally stoked to have the super talented man behind CJC Photography here with me today! Thank you for joining me Christopher, showing some of your awesome work, and allowing me to pick your brain. *Smiles* I promise it won’t hurt too badly. 





 
Tell us a little bit about yourself. Why photography? What got you into snapping pictures?

Photography has always been something I was interested in since high school. I would always have my camera with me taking photos of everything I saw. It wasn’t until after college that I took this interest to another level. I took a certificate program through the New York Institute of Photography, had my website designed and began testing with models. Flash forward to the present… I have been featured in over 50 magazine editorials including over a dozen covers and over 44 book covers.

Many times I gain inspiration from fantastic photographic art. Where do you gain inspiration from?

I truly gain inspiration from my surroundings whether that is landscapes/nature/fashion/fellow photographers etc.



I know you also make some rocking book covers. Tell us a little bit about how you ventured into the realm of cover art?

Sophie Monroe. She visited my facebook page and inquired about one of my photos for her novel “Afflicted” which released in May 2013. After that, my main focus was working with authors on their book covers. I truly love the process of bringing their vision to life through my photos. It’s a truly rewarding experience.

As an author, I know how important it is to have a great cover. What’s your process to get into the mind of the author to make their perfect cover which will convey the heart of their book?

I first like to get a synopsis of the book and an idea of what the character that will be depicted on the cover is like. Then the author and I will either select a model or image that fits that theme. Authors either purchase an image I have already shot or I do a custom shoot just for them.



What’s one of the biggest moments in your career?

That’s a really tough question. There are so many different moments that mean a lot to me in a variety of ways. I will say my first book cover was one of my biggest moments. It really spearheaded the direction I’m currently headed in. Since that first book that came out in May 2013 I have licensed covers for 44 books. It’s truly where my whole focus within photography lies. It’s my passion.

What’s one of the funniest moments you’ve had while taking photographs?

I’d like to start off by saying how clumsy I ‘am, always tripping over myself. During a portrait shoot with a model I told him to be careful while walking down a small hill. I on the other hand slipped and fell down the hill and ended up getting poison ivy all over my back. Not my smoothest moment to say the least haha.

I totally relate, since I'm quite the excerpt in tripping over myself, too :)

 

What’s it like to work with all those sexy people you take pictures of?

I like to get to know each model I work with before we have our photo shoot. I’m proud to say that a lot of them I have become really close friends with. During our photo shoots it’s like friends getting together to catch up while creating art. The shoot flies by and then we have a project that we’re both happy with.

Do you have any advice for those who may have caught photo-bug fever and want to break into the business?

Don’t get discouraged. You will hear no more often than yes. Do your research, learn your craft and PRACTICE.



Any new and exciting projects you’ll be working on in the near future that you wish to share?

In January, one of my models Alli and I will be shooting the cover of Michelle Iannarelli’s “Crazy Over You.” We will be attending the Halos & Horns author signing event in Manhattan in March 2015 to help promote the project and couldn’t be more excited about the event. 

Awesome!



Where can people find you and your work?

   
Thanks again, Christopher for stopping by my blog and chatting with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winners & More

*Waves* Hi, all.  First, I want to thank everyone who took part in my audiobook tour for Always and hosted me and my new audiobook baby o...